Mom of teen who died after eating cookie containing peanuts puts out warning on social media

Posted on

The mother of a Weston teenager who died after taking a bite from a Chips Ahoy cookie containing peanut butter is reaching out to fellow parents on Facebook to spread awareness about the brands’ packaging for cookies with allergens.

Alexi Ryann Stafford, 15, was at a friend’s house June 25 when she opened a package of chewy Chips Ahoy Reese’s peanut butter cookies that she thought was safe because of the red packaging she was familiar with, according to her mother Kellie Travers-Stafford.

“The top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed ‘safe’ to her,’’ she posted on Facebook July 12.

“She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home. Her condition rapidly deteriorated,’’ she added.

Two EpiPens were administered and the teen went into anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious, according to her mother.

“She died on June 25, within one and a half hours of eating that cookie,” Travers-Stafford wrote in the post in which she added photo of the chewy Chips Ahoy Reese’s peanut butter cookies next to the regular chewy kind to highlight how they have similar red packaging. But the photo also shows how the top package has a Reese’s logo which is noticeable in the top right corner.

Source link